What Should I Do If My Tooth Is Chipped?

Jun 16, 2022

What Should I Do If My Tooth Is Chipped? Luckily, chipped teeth are fairly common. While they are not serious injuries, chipped teeth may also be the result of trauma. If you are experiencing pain, bleeding, or have sharp fragments remaining in your tooth, visit your emergency dentist right away. If your tooth is chipped and you're not in pain, you can take over-the-counter pain relievers and rinse your mouth with salt water.

When your tooth is chipped, it's best to see a dentist as soon as possible. If your tooth is loose, the dentist can re-seat it. This can help protect your natural tooth, but it's not a permanent solution. A dentist can recommend an x-ray and other treatment options. It's important to schedule an appointment, so you can discuss all the options available to you.

If the chipped tooth is minor, you can keep it in place with paraffin wax and sugarless gum. While it may be painful, ice packs can help keep it from swelling. A dentist can also recommend the best treatment for your chipped tooth. Depending on the extent of damage, you may need a root canal, crown, or total tooth extraction. If your tooth is chipped or has severe decay, you should visit a dentist right away.

Most chipped teeth can be fixed with a simple filling or reattaching a chipped piece of enamel. Minor cracks on teeth are known as craze lines. They occur in most adults and are typically located on the rear teeth. Bright light can help distinguish between these and more serious cracks. A dentist will work with you to fix your tooth as quickly as possible. There is no need to worry, most dentists have an after-hours line available.

When a chipped tooth has a vertical crack, bacteria may enter the crack and infect the pulp area. An infection in the pulp can spread to surrounding gums and bone. This can lead to pain even if the tooth is only slightly moved. A tooth that is cracked may be sensitive to hot or cold temperatures, making it difficult to eat or drink. Your dentist can also use a specialized tool called a periosteal probe to determine the extent of the damage.

If the crack is smaller than half an inch, you may opt to get a veneer to cover the damaged portion of the tooth. Veneers are often made of porcelain or composite material that are custom-made for each individual patient. They are crafted to match the surrounding teeth. A root canal will be needed if the crack extends into the root of the tooth. This procedure involves removal of the pulp from the root of the tooth.

If you cannot see a dentist right away, you should visit the emergency room immediately. If your tooth has a broken crown, a dentist can repair the crown of the broken tooth. If you have a chipped tooth, a dentist can fix it for you. Otherwise, if it has broken into several pieces, you will need to visit a specialist immediately. The dentist can also help you decide on what to do.